Carefully applied, High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging can create visually stunning pictures which blur the difference between reality and illusion. HDR imaging is the process of taking several photographs of a scene at various exposures, then merging them into one file. So the entire photograph can look crisp and detailed, from highlights to midtones to shadows. So photographers needn't sacrifice any part of their image.
This post covers 25 stunning HDR photos. Many of them might look surreal, too colorful, even magic or fake, but they are not. Keep in mind that they’ve all been developed out of usual photos, and not a single image is an illustration.
- This selection isn’t supposed to be complete which is why I encourage you to post links to further stunning HDR images in the comment box.
- There is no ranking, all pictures have been selected due to their outstanding quality and excellent execution.
- You can explore further works of the designers and photographers we’ve featured below by browsing through their sets on Flickr.
- All screenshots are clickable and lead to the pages from which they’ve been taken.
- You might want to take a look at this book Complete Guide to High Dynamic Range Digital Photography I reviewed earlier this year. Using this book is the easiest way to to master this exiting relatively new technology with this thorough easy to follow and visually stunning book. It covers everything you need to know to produce some great HDR photographs, from how to take great source images to how to merge and tone map your photos